Wednesday 27 November 2013

November Payday Wishlist



Ahh, November payday - how bittersweet you are. I always like to treat myself to a few new things come payday but of course November means Christmas shopping - not to mention Christmas parties - which in turn means putting a little more money aside that I usually would (sad face). I do love choosing presents for other people though, and my December payday actually falls just before Christmas meaning, if need be, I can always squeeze in a few last minute gift purchases before the big day. My family are also doing something of a budget Christmas this year (since my parents are making the move to Bristol) so only  spending up to £5 on each other. I already have some festive metallic Topshop nail polishes stashed away for my sisters, and a L'Occitane Almond goodie for my Mum (which yes cost a lot more than £5 but doesn't count because I already had it in my stocks), so just Dean, my dad, brother, best friend and nephew to buy for now. So anyway, as I was saying before I went on a Christmas ramble - I've had to really streamline my beauty buying this month, fine tuning it to only the very cream of the crop. Read on for a generous helping of party makeup shimmer, along with the luxury hair oil I've been lusting after for months and some  great-smelling budget buys for good measure. Bon apetit!

Top of my list is Essie's long-lusted after Winter 2013 Collection; I've had my eye on these snuggly, snowy themed polishes ever since I saw previews crop up on beauty blogs earlier in the year, and now that they're available on Nail Polish Direct (though still not in Boots) I had to sit down and decide which shades I really wanted, as obviously I didn't need all six. Mind Your Mittens (black teal) and Warm & Toasty Turtleneck (pink angora) were immediately eliminated as, while I like their presence in the winter lineup, I know in my heart of hearts they wouldn't be worn much. And while Parka Perfect is very pretty, I do already own a fair few duck egg blue/mint green type shades. The headliner shade, Shearling Darling (ebony red) is right up my street for this time of year, however again I already own plenty of deep, black-berry shades so this too was struck off the list. Which left me with Sable Collar (pearlescant cocoa plum - how nice does that sound?) and the ultra-festive Toggle To The Top (sparkling garnet red) - the ultimate Christmas party glitter shade. Feeling rather proud that I'd actually managed to pin down my choices, I headed over to Nail Polish Direct, typed 'Essie Winter 2013' into the search bar and to my delight was greeted with this - a mini gift cube comprising all four shades I was truthfully lusting after, in 5ml sizes. What could be more perfect? (And who ever really finishes a whole nail polish anyway?) It matters not what happens from this point onwards, this has already made my Christmas, and I'm now wholeheartedly looking forward to using the frosted shimmer of a beauty that is Parka Perfect if when the snow sets in. I recently did a seasonal edit of my nail polish basket (one of my favourite ways to waste an hour of an evening) and though I do have a sizeable selection that are appropriate for the ever chillier climes in the UK, I'm a fickle creature and some new nail polish to play with is exactly what I want need at the moment.

Due to the multiple odes to leave-in conditioner you've no doubt read on this blog, you'll know that I've been sworn off hair oils for a while now. No real reason, I just really fell back in love with leave-in conditioners over the summer and haven't had a reason to go back. Now however, with my Ojon Rare Blend protecting treatment down to its last few uses, I've already invested in a back-up heat protection spray, but as it's not going to be nourishing in the same way as the Ojon I knew I'd be needing a good quality hair oil to add into the mix. I'm a big fan of the original Moroccan Oil - which I do plan on repurchasing at some point - but decided to try something new and go for L'Oreal's Mythic Oil which I've heard so much about (not least the fact that it smells beautiful; you know I'm a sucker for nicely-scented hair products). Formulated with avocado and grape seed oil, this claims to provide sublime softness and shine - I'll report back in due course. FYI, my plan is to spritz the L'Oreal EverSleek heat protection spray through damp hair before applying the Mythic Oil to ends. Protected, soft shiny hair? We'll see.

Pushing back my cuticles is an integral part of my manicure routine (so much so that if I don't have time to do it I simply won't paint my nails). I usually use a cuticle oil for this (currently my all-time fave, Lush's Lemony Flutter cuticle butter - seriously nourishing stuff), leave for a couple of minutes to sink in then push back with a cuticle stick; I find this gives a much cleaner, neater base to work with and prevents any polish getting caught in the cuticle bed and looking messy. But it wasn't until recently that I realised I was doing it all wrong. The subject of 'cuticle removal' had always been somewhat repulsive to me (removing any bodily part that's supposed to be there seemed like nothing short of mutilation) but now I've grasped the fact that most cuticle removal products merely soften the cuticle (making them all the easier to push back), I'm all aboard. Sally Hansen's Instant is reportedly the best on the market, and supposedly now available in Boots after previously only being available in the US, but since I can't find it either on their website or in my local store, I'm going down the Amazon route - free delivery and 59p cheaper than the RRP, every little helps. Again, I shall report back in due course.

A monthly visit to Boots is always a given; I'm in dire need of a new mascara, both my Max Factor False Lash Effects are getting to that dry, cakey stage of no return, and it was a genuine toss up between the Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume and the new Bobbi Brown Smoky Eye mascara. Both look amazing but when it came down to it, I've been wanting the Clinique a lot longer, plus it's £5 cheaper so onto the wish list it went. (The Bobbi Brown does look super nice - one for the Christmas list I think). Really hopeful that, alongside the Shu Uemera eyelash curlers, this will give me the kind of full, thick dark lashes I've always dreamed of (as a lady of Asian descent you'd think the aforementioned would be my birth right but sadly, no). Why Boots? I could pick up this high-end wand from any one of the Clinique counters dotted across Bristol's department stores, but totting up my Advantage Card points is one of my favourite past-times, so Boots it is. Whilst I'm there I'll be picking up No7's Christmas collection Shade & Define eye pencil in Gunmetal Grey, which I haven't been able to stop thinking about since I first spied it in store. Not a huge lover of No7 normally, for  some reason I've been really gravitating towards them lately. Twice now I've swatched this shimmery lavender-silver eyeshadow pencil in store and been transfixed by how well the colour lasts, and have come to the conclusion that this, along with the shimmer shades in the original Urban Decay Naked palette, will see me through the Christmas party season in style (teamed with a selection of party dresses, festive nail shades and Rimmel's Kate Moss 107 lipstick, naturally). I also really love the look of the limited edition Instant Radiance highlighter, also part of their Christmas collection, and am really tempted to pop it in my basket on the current 3 for 2 they have running across all cosmetics - I know I said I'm trying to be really strict with my spending this month, but who can resist a Boots 3 for 2? Not I, that's for sure. I also don't own a single cream highlighter and think this would go so well with the multiple berry/mauve ensembles I have planned out.

Pricey cosmetics covered, I'm planning on spending a large chunk of my remaining 'me'  budget on a bit of a Primark haul, who've obviously gone all out with their many Christmas jumper designs and related paraphernalia after their popularity last year, and though I have been avoiding the place like the plague for fear of spending money, I have taken the odd shortcut through there on my way home over the past month and spotted a few things I wouldn't mind making mine. The super-cute Christmas pudding jumper pictured I've only actually seen online and no doubt they've all been pillaged from my local store long ago, but a girl can dream. They did however have stack-upon-stack of the candy cane 'I heart Santa' jumper last time I popped in so if all else fails that'll be plan B. I also spotted several designs of festive tartan pyjama bottoms, and as I'm desperately in need of a new pair (my fleecy red & white snowflake pair have seen much better days) I'll definitely be picking up some. I also need some new slippers (after months of plodding around the flat in a pair of worn-out old uggs), as well as some new dark wash jeans and black ankle boots for work. Finding the last two in Primark might be slightly optimistic; either way one thing I'm sure of is that I'll be treating myself to one of Costa's festive coffees while I'm there. Costa? In  Primark? That's right, and I'm all over it.

And to finish off, a couple of much-loved and repurchased budget buys will be finding their way into my basket too (and both quite conveniently can be picked up with the weekly Tesco shopping). The Original Source Chocolate & Mint body wash is a festive favourite of mine; and since I have a bottle of the Body Shop's Chocomania body lotion ready to be cracked open, these will go perfectly together. The After Eight-scent really takes me back to last Christmas (when we last had it); it's a really authentic blend of milk chocolate and mint, not in the least sickly or artificial (a pleasant surprise when I first bought this as some of the Original Source products can be). I love the formula too; the peppermint makes it really refreshing, while the texture is quite creamy and luxurious and leaves the skin really soft. While in the supermarket I'll also be picking up a Glade Honey & Chocolate scented candle, currently on offer at £2 in Tesco. These candles are such good value for money as the scent is very festive and comforting, fills the whole room and lasts a good while, but at a really low price. Glade do a range of seasonal scented candles (Air Wick do a nice Mulled Wine & Cinnamon Apple one, FYI) but this is definitely the best of the bunch having done the research. We also have a ridiculous amount of festive Yankee Candle bits and pieces at home at the moment including two huge jar candles (Christmas Cookie and Red Apple Wreath, both so nice) as well as multiple wax tarts and home fragrance oils, but there's always room for a little more.

Will you be treating yourself to anything nice this month?
I've got my eye on quite a few other beauty bits which have already been 
bumped onto December's payday list - it's a hard life...

Chandra
x

No comments:

Post a Comment