Saturday 19 October 2013

Hair Styling, Streamlined



I recently had a big clear-out of my haircare products - I had so many that I never use (and know I will never get round to using) and so with ruthless abandon swept all those in question into a big paper bag and handed them over to my mum/sisters to squabble over, keeping only the cream of the crop for myself. I hate the feeling of product build-up in my hair, so as a general rule stick to using just one product after washing (and always on damp hair); I also like to match the scent of my styling products to my shampoo & conditioner (I love a theme, me). So what made the cut? Say hello to my streamlined hair styling stash - an A-Z of leave-in conditioners and nourishing detangling sprays to suit all occasions (some with the added bonus of heat protection), plus a straightening balm, smoothing finishing cream and dry shampoo. 

Naked Little Miracle leave-in conditioner £4.99 Boots - My go-to leave-in for when I want to get the job done quick; containing shea butter and argan oil, this has a rich buttery texture and is seriously powerful stuff - you really do only need a small amount to achieve smooth, soft results. This does the job of reducing frizz and generally smoothing everything out, leaving hair with a lovely sheen and delicious nutty scent (it also contains heat protection so great both when blowdrying and leaving to dry naturally).

Herbal Essences Bee Strong strengthening leave-in cream £4.79 Boots - The only straight-up leave-in cream in my stash - no heat protection, no magic straightening properties, nada - just softening, frizz-reducing honey-and-apricot scented goodness. In truth the scent is the main reason I held onto this one (that and the fact that it combines beautifully with the L'Oreal Nectar Thermqiue, resulting in soft heavenly-scented waves). On it's own this is nothing special (sorry Herbal Essences - I adore the rest of the range) but mixed with a dollop of the Nectar Thermique it's a frizzy-haired girls dream *raises hand*

L'Oreal Kerastase Nectar Thermique nourishing care with heat-protectant £15.95 Feel Unique - Naked Little Miracle was my firm favourite in the leave-in stakes until this baby came along and blew it out of the water. When my hairdresser used this on me I knew straightaway that I needed it - first of all it smells a-mazing (honey and Royal Jelly intermingled with that gorgeous 'salon' scent); secondly; oh how soft it makes my hair. This might just be my favourite out of the whole bunch - but I tend to save it for special occasions due to the price tag and fairly strong honey scent which doesn't 'work' with all shampoos, especially if they have a strong scent of their own.

Ojon Rare Blend protecting treatment £23 Ojon - Fed up with heat protection sprays that do nothing for my hair, I was originally drawn to this because it offers both nourishing care and protection from the dreaded GHDs. I've been loving using this as a detangler-come-hair-oil on damp hair - the ultra fine mist is perfect for achieving all-over application, makes combing through a dream and leaves my hair ultra soft and glossy after blowdrying. When I've used this several people have asked if I've had my hair cut because (apparently) I look like I've stepped straight from the salon. I also can't get enough of the gorgeous ginseng, lemongrass and honey scent.

Dove Nourishing Oil Care leave-in conditioning spray £3.59 Boots - I like this, I don't love it - for people with finer hair, I'm guessing this would deliver similar results to the Ojon spray, but for my thick unruly waves it just doesn't cut it. Why keep it? It's nice for detangling despite not being overly nourishing, fragrances my hair nicely, is cheap-as-chips and easy to carry around for post-swim/gym washes. I also love that it's really lightweight so can be applied quite liberally without the fear of grease - my hair literally drinks this stuff up, making it perfect for revitalising dry hair too. Teamed with a good dry shampoo this can transform day-old hair from limp to soft, bouncy and fresh.

Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance leave-in conditioner £4.99 Boots - I love the way Aussie products make my hair smell and feel (another one that takes me back to my teenage days). I also purchased the Take The Heat leave-in cream with this which was awful (with an almost gluey texture) so that went straight in the cast-off bag, although honestly I should probably have put it straight in the bin rather than inflict it on anyone else. When leaving to dry naturally the Miracle Hair Insurance does relatively little to reduce frizz, but applied pre-blowdry is when it really comes to life. Again the strong scent doesn't complement everything so I'm saving this one for the new year, when I'm planning on going back to basics with Aussie's Miracle Moist range (yes I plan ahead with my haircare - are you even surprised?)

Macadamia straightening balm £7 The Body Shop - I was browsing the Body Shop's haircare section, having not really noticed it before, when this caught my eye (I'm keen to try the Brazil Nut Define & No Frizz at some point, too). I love the sleek packaging (perfect for popping in my gym bag) as well as the sweet nutty scent and creamy texture that glides through hair. Since this one is heat-activated I only use it when blow-drying (explaining why it hasn't seen much use over the summer months); it definitely helps to make my hair straighter, however does nothing to soften/nourish my ends (solution: mix in a tiny blob of Naked Little Miracle, bob's your uncle).

TIGI Bed Head After Party smoothing cream £13.95 Feel Unique - This has a soft, subtle bubblegum scent (again intermingled with that classic 'salon' scent), a lightweight creamy texture that disappears in the hands, and admittedly rather peculiar/questionable packaging (but quite nice and lightweight to carry around at the same time). Specifically for use on dry hair, this does the job of smoothing flyaways for a sleek finish - I don't often apply any product after straightening but now and again it's nice to have something to smooth through for a finishing touch; mostly though I use this on day-old hair to add a bit of oomph and life back into my tresses.

V05 Refresh Me Quick dry shampoo £3.49 Superdrug - I always have dry shampoo on hand for emergencies - I picked this up from Superdrug recently purely because it looked quite good and was cheaper than Batiste. The name Refresh Me Quick drew me in since the sole reason I use dry shampoo is to banish grease fast, making my hair presentable enough to whip into a pony-tail and go. It's the last step in my morning routine (often an afterthought as I'm heading out the door) so I need something that does the job and does it fast - this one gets extra thumbs up for its pleasant scent and compact packaging.

What are your hair styling essentials?

Chandra
x




No comments:

Post a Comment