Saturday 12 October 2013

Bag Of Tricks #1



We all know that feeling of 'I don't have a lipbalm/hairband/mirror with me - damn'. I know I do, and often found myself in that very situation up until recently, due to my habit of keeping all my out-and-about essentials in my 'work handbag' and being reluctant to take them out for fear that I'll forget to replace them by Monday morning (I lead a hard life, I know). I don't know why I didn't think of the 'bag in a bag' idea before now - it's hardly original - but for a girl with as many handbags as me it's perfect. Now when I'm heading out I simply throw keys, mobile, wallet and beauty bag into my chosen handbag, safe in the knowledge that everything I need is neatly intact in preparation for all manner of eventualities (because you just never know what's going to happen).


The 'beauty bag' in question is my navy/red American Apparel small leather carry-all pouch, which I originally picked up to use as a makeup bag, before quickly discovering that it was far too small, and due to the suede lining left my makeup brushes covered in fluff (not good). However, it is the perfect size for stuffing (albeit snugly) all the daytime essentials I can't bear to be without in to. A quick run-down of the aforementioned goes as follows...

Tissues & wet wipes - I've mentioned before that I just can't live without these. Sticky fingers are one of my pet peeves, and especially if I go out for lunch at the weekend I like to have these on hand for freshening up afterwards.
Mini hairbrush - Having been replaced by the Kent bristle brush as my working week hair smoother, my Tresemme mini paddle brush fits nicely into the AA pouch for detangling on the go (brushing my hair is one of my many OCD obsessions and I get somewhat angsty if I can't do it when the mood takes me).
Hand cream & sanitiser - Goes without saying, I can't live without these babies for keeping my mits clean and soft when out and about - again I get pretty irritable if my hands are feeling dry and tight and I'm unable do anything about it! The Nivea Nourishing handcream is great for soothing rough skin and has a nice fresh scent, while the 50ml Cuticura Cucumber & Mint is the perfect size for popping into said beauty pouch.
Lipbalm - Another item I simply can't bear not to have on my person (it's like an extension of me). I was keeping my Peach Kiss Baby Lips in here for trial purposes, but recently switched to the Body Shop Honeymania lipbalm - I picked this up hoping it would be a nice nourishing one for bedtime, but sadly it didn't quite fit the bill. Its sweet honey scent and subtle glossy finish are nice for slicking on during the day, though. I'll probably continue to rotate this aspect of the beauty bag in order to get use out of my extensive lipbalm collection (it's ridiculous, seriously).
Lipstick - I also like to keep a lipstick to hand for smartening up my look after a lunch/coffee date. I mentioned my love for nude lips in my Autumn Tag post, and Rimmel's Notting Hill Nude is a really nice one - creamy, peachy and opaque. I'm a Mac Lustre girl at heart though, and currently on my wishlist are Jubilee (naked, beigey-pink) and Patisserie (sheer creamy neutral pink).

Added extras come in the form of hairbands (because sometimes you just need to tie your hair up), paracetamol/ibuprofen for banishing pesky headaches, a mirror of course, and a little pack of mints I picked up recently when paying in Cafe Nero (one of my favourite off-duty haunts along with Yo Sushi, GBK, the cinema and of course, Boots). I knew straightaway that the cute streamlined box was all that was missing from my magic bag of tricks, and have come in super-handy for those 'oops, shouldn't have eaten that garlic bread/red onion salad' moments (we've all been there).

You're probably wondering, why not have just one beauty bag for work & weekend? 
That would just be too easy - plus, as a beauty addict I'm forever wanting to try new things 
and having doubles of everything allows me to do just that!

What do you always have to have with you when out and about?

Chandra
x

No comments:

Post a Comment