Tuesday 9 July 2013

A Few Little Purchases


I’ve really been enjoying online shopping recently – not only do you get the satisfaction of clicking the ‘add to basket’ button from the comfort of your sofa, but the thrill of getting a parcel through your door is almost as good as getting presents (or maybe that’s just me...). A couple of weekends ago I was having a lazy evening browsing the internet (I usually work on Saturday nights so being able to stay home and do nothing is a luxury), and of course I found my way onto a couple of beauty sites.

I’d been lusting after all of the above items for a while, but I usually like to wait until there’s a few things I want from a brand before purchasing them all together. However I was feeling spontaneous, so one-by-one each of these little beauties fell into baskets over on Mac, Cult Beauty and Topshop. This was actually my first ever purchase from Cult Beauty but after having a little browse I have a feeling they’ll be more to come.

I’d always heard this product mentioned but never fully understood its purpose until now. After grasping the concept that it could magic away that cakey look when you get a bit heavy handed with makeup, I knew I needed it in my life. Plus Mac’s description – ‘An aqua-spritz of vitamins and minerals, infused with a calm-the-skin blend of green tea, chamomile and cucumber ‘– had me sold. Why the travel size? Firstly, I love anything miniature. Secondly, it takes me forever to use things up and I hate having half-used products hanging around when there’s others that I want to try. However after sampling this I can safely say this little bottle isn’t going to last long at all! I’ve been spritzing it on almost daily after makeup application - I just can’t get enough of the luminous glow and dewy finish it gives my skin, and can foresee this becoming a permanent fixture in my makeup bag.

Ever since hearing that Anastasia was the go to brand for brow products I’d been angling to try one of their brow gels which offer firm hold with a natural, non-sticky appearance’. I opted for the shade Espresso (‘for dark brown to black hair tones’) which is perfect for me. I have fairly thick, dark, nicely shaped eyebrows (I get them threaded about every 6-8 weeks and keep them tidy with my trusty Tweezermans in between sessions), but they do tend to do their own thing during the day. I had been using the Benefit Speed Brow to keep stray hairs in place, but it had seen better days so it was time for an upgrade. And (sorry Benefit) this was definitely an upgrade – not only do my brows look effortlessly groomed and defined in a matter of seconds, they stay in place all day long, too.

I’d had my eye on this brow pencil for a while, but when I went in store to pick it up they’d sold out completely, and only had the lighter shade in stock online. On closer inspection, Vicious Circle is a medium mushroom-brown and after some thought (despite having dark brown, almost black brows) I decided to give it a go and have been pleasantly surprised. I’m not a fan of heavily pencilled brows, so this neutral shade works well to fill in any gaps without looking too dark or obvious. If I’m feeling lazy I’ll just brush through with the spoolie end before applying the Anastasia brow gel, but if I’m making a bit more effort I’ll use some pencil first. Lastly, I’d been wanting a glass nail file ever since my friend told me they were the best - and when I spotted this cute pink one in Topshop I immediately added it to my mental wishlist. Small and sturdy, this is so much more effective than the cheap foam ones I had been using and also fits neatly into my makeup bag.

Chandra
x

No comments:

Post a Comment