Wednesday 13 November 2013

Evening Essentials - The Winter Edit


It's been a really, really long time since my last 'evening essentials' post but in all honesty I don't tend to switch up this beauty category all that often and will use the same skincare options for months on end so long as they do the job. But with the cold weather here to stay and the central heating cranked up, this month I've turned to some heavier-duty moisturising options, all in the name of battling chapped lips, flaky skin and that lacklustre, dull winter complexion.

LIPS
My lips in particular have taken a huge turn for the worse since the temperatures dramatically dropped here in the UK - with bleeding, cracking and flaking sending me running to the nearest Lush store, stat. I used to own their Mint Julips lip scrub but had to throw it out recently as it was past it's use by date, and since then I haven't been using anything to exfoliate my lips - which really starts to show once the cold dries them out, leaving you with horrible bits of loose skin (ugh!). This time I decided to go for Popcorn, which is a really simple salt, sugar and oil (coconut and jojoba) concoction to scrub your lips smooth and sweet. I keep this in the bathroom cabinet to remind myself to pop a little on after finishing my cleansing regime, before heading into the bedroom to apply my nightly lipbalm and handcream choices. If you've never used a lip scrub before and suffer from chapped or flaky lips I'd definitely recommend picking one up - it does the job of tackling that pesky dry skin that lipbalm alone (no matter how good) can't quite eliminate. Lush do a good range of different scented ones - including the festive red Santa Baby which I'm really tempted by - but I've also heard amazing things about the Sarah Happ lip scrubs (available from Beauty Bay) which again come in lots of lovely different flavours. These are a little more on the pricey side however, so one for a Christmas treat perhaps - I've got my eye on Brown Sugar and Red Velvet.

As I mentioned, after scrubbing my lips clean and smooth I then apply a good layer of nourishing lipbalm to see me through til morning; the balm currently in pride of place is the NUXE Reve de Miel lipbalm pot, which I finally picked up from M&S online - along with the handcream - after a much anticipated wait. Every single blogger I know of swears by this citrus-scented pot of honey-packed goodness and I can completely see why. This is hands down the most effective, nourishing and cost-effective lipbalm I've tried - it's so rich you really only need a tiny amount to give the lips a good coating, meaning the hefty 15g pot will last a good long while (I'll keep you posted on that one). I only use this in the evenings as it's so rich, and in the mornings opt for my Lush Honey Trap lipbalm - another recent purchase, oops - because it nourishes well but also sinks in really fast, making it perfect for pre-makeup prep. Then throughout the day I give my lips regular doses of moisture with the Body Shop cocoa butter lipcare stick - dry lips be gone. Aside from the texture, I love the frosted matte packaging of the NUXE Reve de Miel, as well as the gorgeous scent which reminds me of the honey, lemongrass and ginger scented Ojon Rare Blend protecting treatment, another of my autumn faves.



SKINCARE
I'd been lusting after the Bobbi Brown hydrating eye cream - packed with aloe vera, witch hazel, avocado and jojoba extract - for a really long time (okay, since the summer - not that long as beauty obessions go but long enough!). I'd been putting it off mainly because of the price, plus the fact that my Origins Eye Doctor (which don't get me wrong, I love) hadn't quite run out so I couldn't really justify spending the £30 on a new one. However on October payday I was feeling spontaneous, and since then I and this little luxe pot of goodness have been completely inseparable. Really lovely and hydrating (as you would expect from the name) yet lightweight too and sinks in really fast making it perfect both for nighttime use as well as for applying underneath makeup (I've been using this in the mornings too). Light yet luxurious, this has a really subtle, barely detectable organic-y natural smell (you know the kind - really nice). What's become of the Origins Eye Doctor, you ask? With a good half a tub left to go it's been safely stashed away - along with the remains of my Make A Difference+ rejuvenating moisturiser (which very nearly fell into Dean's moisture-gobbling clutches - seriously he uses so much) - ready to be worked into a rather Origins-centric new year skincare regime; watch this space.

Another skincare item I wanted to mention is my current cleanser - I don't really talk about my evening skincare and I'm not all too sure why, maybe because I know it's not exactly 'beauty approved', more my own little habits that work best for me and leave my skin feeling most clean and cared for. I have settled into a good little routine recently though so I'll give you a quick run down, as we're here - I start by tackling my eye makeup using the Body Shop Camomile eye makeup remover, which is pretty gentle but with a couple of cotton pads and a little rubbing this removes the bulk of mascara and eyeliner. I then go in with their Vitamin E cream cleanser (pictured), massaging it over my face with my fingertips to remove everything else, including the day's dirt, grime and pollution - yum. Formulated with nourishing shea butter, this is a nice gentle, moisturising cleanser that removes every last scrap of makeup and dirt, leaving skin plumped up, clean and glowing (making this ideal for more dehydrated skin types/just about everyone during the colder months). Once I'm done massaging I remove the excess with a cotton pad, before giving my whole face a gentle wash with the Vitamin E facial cleansing bar (still going strong) to remove any remaining cleanser, and follow up with a sweep of Vitamin E hydrating toner for fresh, clean, happy skin. I really do notice all the difference and feel so much more confident when I stick to a good skincare regime - it helps to eat well and exercise too of course, two things I haven't been so good at recently (not to self: must renew gym membership).

MOISTURE-GIVERS
My most recent body-moisturising choice is one that again, I've been looking forward to using for a looong time. The Body Shop Almond body butter has been sitting in my stash for a record number of months - I actually bought this in their January sale at the beginning of this year (along with the Passionfruit butter that I featured in my first Evening Essentials post back in July, funnily enough). It goes without saying that I'm absolutely loving this one - the scent is right up my street of course; creamy, sweet and gourmand, I just love slathering this on after an evening bath, especially after shaving my legs to really lock in moisture for super-soft smooth skin. If I still had the L'Occitane almond shower oil these would go beautifully together but sadly it's long gone. I have however been really loving this in conjunction with my Nina Ricci Snow Princess eau de toilette for a really creamy, wintery fragrance, while the Body Shop Brazil Nut body mist is equally lovely layered overtop for a nutty, chocolately theme. The butter itself is really thick, rich and creamy, amongst the heavier in the Body Shop's extensive range so perfect for winter time and those with dryer skins. If you like the scent of almond you'll love this - it's a really authentic scent; sweet and potent yet not at all artifical or marzipan-like. I really wish this was available all year round, not just at certain times of year, but then I guess that's all part of the fun - in my opinion some of the Body Shop's best offerings are limited edition, eg. their Raspberry Ripple and Spiced Pumpkin body washes and entire Brazil Nut range. I am really happy, however, that the Banana shampoo and conditioner have joined their permanent haircare line - there is a god.

Following on from the almond theme, another product from my stash that's been waiting inpatiently in the wings is the Burts Bees Almond & Milk beeswax hand cream. I actually bought this as a birthday treat last year - along with the Beeswax & Banana version, which I've just used up - but have only just rotated it into my evening routine. Safe to say - it's love. The packaging, first of all (the sole reason I originally fell in love with it) is gorgeous - so sturdy and cute. The scent is to die for; creamy, nutty and organic-y, you can really detect the beeswax at work. The texture as you'd expect is totally dreamy and really nourishing; I apply this liberally all over my hands at night before popping on cotton gloves (I got mine from Boots) and letting it all sink in while I sleep. It's worth noting that this is a very heavy formula best suited to very dry hands, and definitely not recommended for daytime use. It sinks in incredibly slowly so without the cotton gloves it does tend to get everywhere - on your face, the sheets, in your hair; not good. Teamed with the gloves, however, it's a real match made in heaven and a ritual I look forward to every evening. I've been a bit rubbish at applying hand cream throughout the day lately, so giving them a proper pamper every night really helps to replenish some of that lost moisture, ensuring I wake up to lovely, almond-scented, baby-soft hands.

What are your winter evening essentials?

Chandra
x

No comments:

Post a Comment