Monday 7 October 2013

Morning Routine #2


It's been a little while since my last morning routine post, and since I've recently switched up my skincare for autumn - and also finally settled into an easy-breezy daily makeup routine - I thought now would be a good time for an update...

I always like to start my day by washing my face to wake myself up dislodge any grime or dirt, before following up with a facial scrub to gently slough away dead skin cells, (in the hope of) revealing a brighter, more glowing complexion. I'd been waiting what seems like forever to try the Vitamin E facial cleansing bar while using up my other facewashes - for some reason I just really like the simplicity of washing my face with a bar of soap? Of course this one is specially formulated for use on the face so no dryness or stripping here, just lovely clean, soft skin (I picked up the little soap dish from L'Occitane FYI). Next I massage the St Ive's Gentle Apricot Scrub over my face in circular motions for an invigorating cleanse - I love the way this stuff smells, it takes me right back to my teenage days. I decided to try out the gentle version after hearing that it contains less harmful ingredients, and must say it feels lovely and softening on the skin, while the ground walnut-shell particles do the job of gently exfoliating and smoothing. After a quick pat dry with a clean towel, I finish off by sweeping Simple's soothing toner over skin on a cotton pad; a calming chamomile-and-witch-hazel formula that's super affordable (as well as alcohol-free). While this is a nice refreshing toner to use in the mornings, I am thinking of investing in something a little more hydrating for evening use - I've got my beady eye on the Origins Make A Difference treatment lotion after Kate's many raves about it, however realistically the Body Shop's Vitamin E hydrating toner is probably more within my current budget.

Bathroom routine complete, next come the usual suspects; eye cream, lip balm, moisturiser. At the moment those in question are Simple's soothing eye balm (a nice, light daytime eyecream) followed by Lush's Lip Service, which got pushed to the back of my stash some time ago, unused and unappreciated. When I bought this it was really hard in texture and a challenge to get any product out of, however over the summer it seems to have softened up and is now perfect for smoothing on in the mornings to banish dryness and prep lips for makeup. I'm a big fan of Lush lip products for their natural ingredients and softening, fast-absorbing formulas and this one - made primarily from shea and cocoa butter, organic extra virgin olive oil, beeswax and tangerine oil - has a lovely light subtle citrus scent and does wonders for tackling chapped lips. My current daytime moisturiser is yet another from the Body Shop Vitamin E family; their cult classic soapy-smelling (can't decide if that's a good thing?) Moisture Cream which - although nothing to write home about - does a good enough job of hydrating and relieving tightness, while sinking in fast leaving skin smooth and makeup-ready...

As I said, after much dabbling with/flitting between new makeup items since the change in weather, I've finally fallen into step reaching for the same fail-safe products each morning (making life so much easier and quicker). As always it's a pretty minimal look combining a paired-back (but flawless) base, subtle yet defined eyes, a peachy glow and natural lip. I always start by dotting my Nars Radiant Creamy concealer in Honey under my eyes, around my nose and chin to both brighten and reduce redness; as always I use the Real Techniques expert face brush (my all-time favourite for concealer) to blend this in seamlessly. I've been using this concealer for probably about a month now and really loving it - at £21 it doesn't come cheap but for someone like me (who often skips out on foundation in favour of concealer alone) this is well worth the money. Radiant and creamy; this gives amazing coverage without looking cakey and blends beautifully for a really natural, barely-there finish. Redness and blemishes concealed, I then go in with my favourite Body Shop Extra Virgin Minerals loose powder in Golden Beige - a really lovely, lightweight mineral powder that adds a touch of all-over colour and eliminates shine while at the same time imparting a soft luminous glow which just makes my whole complexion look so much healthier. Dusted on and buffed in with the (massive fluffy super-soft) Real Techniques powder brush for a second-skin like veil, teamed with the Nars concealer this has been a dream duo for me (as someone who likes applying/wearing makeup but doesn't like to look like I'm wearing a lot of makeup).

Onto eyes, the Shu Uemera eyelash curlers have been working wonders for my limp lashes, boosting curl at the roots and making me look much more wide-eyed in the mornings. Old habits die hard - I just can't let go of my ever-dwindling Barry M brown kohl, which I'm still using daily to add a bit of definition to the upper lashline before layering on my Max Factor False Lash Effect Fusion mascara in black/brown. Another old favourite - the first time I used this I was blown away; the rubber wand really grips lashes at the root, coating each one for volumised, defined lashes in seconds. As I said recently I'm really hankering to try the Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume mascara, but have a feeling this magic purple wand will always hold a place in my heart. I don't always wear blush but lately have been really into it, and recently picked up the cheap-as-chips Rimmel Lasting Finish Mono Blush in Santa Rose as a more muted autumn alternative to my Bourjois Healthy Mix blush; still peachy but less coral and much more suited to my fading tan, I'm pretty sure I owned this as a teenager and got to thinking recently why in the world I hadn't repurchased it. I've been enjoying sweeping this on with the Real Techniques blush brush (well due a wash by the looks of things) for a muted peachy-pink flush, before finishing off with a slick of sheer tinted lipbalm/gloss/stick hybrid before heading out the door. Similar(ish?) in formula, I've been opting for either my Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss (a subtly shimmering peach nude) or Revlon's ColorBurst Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie; an easy to wear pinky-purple berry shade that's really been putting me in the mood for autumn! Work-appropriate, buttery-soft and ultra-pigmented, it's easy to see why this one is a blogger fave.

Hope you enjoyed this post and maybe even spied some things you'd like to try!
What do you use to feel on top of your game in the mornings?

Chandra
x

No comments:

Post a Comment