Friday 6 September 2013

Honey Hair Care


I've made no secret of my love for honey-scented haircare products (or any products for that matter), so what to do when your favourite bee-themed shampoo bites the dust? Spend £14 on the Fairtrade Honey shampoo from Lush that you've been lusting after for well over a year, of course. I always run out of shampoo well before conditioner due to my shampoo twice, conditioner once habit so am always left with a half-empty bottle of conditioner hanging around forlorn and unused. In the past I was obsessive about having 'matching' shampoo and conditioner from the same brand and range, but recently I've been enjoying pairing up products that both work well together and complement each other fragrance-wise. Also, despite loving Lush shampoo (I've used their Sylvia Cynthia Stout and shampoo bars in the past) I've never had great results from their conditioners, and of course I love the Bee Strong conditioner and don't want it to go to waste. Used together, with the Kerastase Nectar Thermique thrown in afterwards, these result in hair that is shiny and healthy throughout topped off with a beautiful fragrance the bees would be proud of.

So, how does the relatively pricey Fairtrade Honey compare to it's affordable Herbal Essences counterpart? First up, the scent is a totally different ball game though still very much honey-based. Far less sweet than the Bee Strong, this is a very natural, authentic honey scent perfumed with an array of botanical oils, making for a classic intoxicating Lush fragrance that stays in the hair all day and I personally love, though it may not be to everyone's tastes. The texture is that of soft, runny, free-flowing honey that isn't at all heavy or sticky, but on the contary feels light and very cleansing in the hair. In my experience over the fast few weeks, I've found this to be a good clarifying shampoo (owing to the natural properties of the honey) which makes a nice change from the Bee Strong, which although made my hair very soft and shiny, didn't leave my hair clean for as long as this does. I wash my hair every other day out of habit, and with the Bee Strong it was always well due a wash by the second day whereas with this it still looks and feels fairly fresh. On top of  leaving my hair squeaky clean, this luxurious shampoo makes it really shiny, healthy and manageable (again thanks to the honey, which makes up over 50% of the product).

My beloved Bee Strong conditioner is still keeping up its end of the bargain, keeping my lengths and ends nourished and silky soft, and of course paired with the divine smell of the Fairtrade Honey makes for one heavenly-scented barnet. I've still been using the Bee Strong mask once a week, too - a much needed ritual since its now near to two months since my last trim and the (despite my best efforts, still fairly frequent) use of hairdryer/GHDs means my ends are beginning to look a little worse for wear. I've really been enjoying slapping this on to put back in some of what wear and tear has taken out, and of course drinking in that dreamy honey and apricot scent - yum. To round off the whole haircare honey bonanza, I've still been loving using the Nectar Thermique (which contains royal jelly) post-wash for an extra shot of nourishment and to protect from heat. At 150ml this is a fairly teeny tube of product and one that I've been getting through fast, and so in the interests of delaying an inevitable repurchase I've been combining a dollop of this with a couple of pumps of the Bee Strong strengthening leave-in cream to make it go that bit further while still doing the job of softening and protecting my locks.

For the first time in a long time I'm really happy with my haircare routine and the results I'm getting from it. These are all products that I would purchase again and recommend to those with similar hair to mine (on the thick, dry, damaged side of things) and now that the Body Shop are releasing a Honeymania bodycare range I may well have to stock up so that I can enjoy the honey experience from head to toe!

Do you like the scent of honey? Have you tried any of these products?

Chandra
x

No comments:

Post a Comment