Wednesday 7 August 2013

Weekly Nailcare


In the past year or two my nail polish collection has grown extensively (though from what I’ve seen of other blogger’s stashes it’s still comparably modest) to the point that I was recently forced to carry out a cull of those I never wear and/or are so old and dried up they can’t be worn. My newly streamlined capsule collection now fits snugly into the smallest of my TKMaxx storage baskets when stored upside-down (which to me makes so much sense as you can see the colours at a glance). Of course all that colour can take its toll on nails, so once or twice a week I like to give my hands (and feet in the warmer weather) a bit of extra TLC in preparation for a DIY mani-pedi.

The first thing I do (normally after a bath or shower) is give my nails a good file using either the Topshop Glass Nail File or (if I have more time on my hands) the No7 Rechargeable Manicure Set my boyfriend got me last year in an attempt to make my life easier. If any of my nails are particularly jagged or I’ve gone a while longer than usual without filing nail scissors will come out to play, but generally a bit of filing is enough to get them looking how I want - I’ve recently been going for (and really liking) a shorter, more squared off finish.

Once my nails are neatly shaped and filed, I give both my hands and feet a good moisturise with the Soap & Glory Hand Food and Boots Softening Foot Lotion (both of which sink in really fast without leaving any sticky residue) before using a cuticle oil - I never used to pay any attention to my cuticles but now that I’ve noticed what a difference it makes I never skip this step. Using either Lush’s Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter or some sweet almond oil (this was a bargain from Wilkos), I rub oil into my cuticles and any dry skin surrounding the nail, before gently pushing my cuticles back with this useful tool from the aforementioned No7 kit. I also recently invested in the Body Shop Almond Nail & Cuticle Oil pen, which (although not as nourishing as the Lush butter) is great for when you’re in a rush but still want to give your cuticles some nourishment (and I love how gentle yet effective the rubber cuticle pusher on the cap is).
While I give that oil a chance to sink in I'll read a magazine or type up a blog post, then 'dehydrate' each nail with a quick swipe of a remover-soaked cotton pad before getting to work on my paint job. I always stick to the mantra base coat, 2 coats polish, top coat otherwise there is literally no point in even bothering - I’m the sort of person that can’t sit still and is always pottering around doing something, so my nails always chip so quickly unless I prevent against it. My base coat of choice at the moment is the Seventeen Nail Xtras Strengthening Base Coat, a cheapy but a goody - I actually bought this after reading a review on the Boots website written by a mum who claimed it lasted her through several rounds of washing up! Next comes the colour – at the moment I’m still loving my Essies as well as Sally Hansen’s Kook-A-Mango and Mavala’s Madrid (gotta make the most of those summer shades before the sun goes in for good). Last of all comes the almighty Seche Vite Top Coat which I caved and bought after hearing so many bloggers rave about it. And I can see why – ultra-glossy chip-free finish and speeds up drying time. What’s not to love?
What products do you use for your weekly nailcare routine?
Chandra
x

No comments:

Post a Comment